What’s the Legal Status of Sports Betting in Ohio State?

With two NFL, one MLB, one NHL, and one NBA franchise each, Ohio is well-represented in the professional sports landscape. Sadly, it has been impossible for Ohio residents to bet on their favorite teams since sports betting has been illegal for so long. The history of sports betting in Ohio has changed significantly over the past few years. The future seems promising for gamblers in Buckeye State since things have turned for good now after a couple of years of the legal fight.

After the required Ohio sports betting legislation was enacted in December 2021, the countdown to the opening of Ohio sports betting has officially begun. Early in December 2021, the Ohio sports betting bill (HB29) was approved by the House and Senate before being signed into law on December 22 by Governor Mike DeWine. The OCCC, known as Ohio Casino Control Commission, declared that sports wagering would start on January 1, 2023, the latest date permitted by law, on June 1, 2022.

On January 1, 2023, we already know that bettors in Ohio will have easy access to retail and Ohio betting apps. Daily fantasy sports betting has already been highly well-liked in Ohio, and many Ohio gamblers have access to authorized sports wagers in a few neighboring states like Indiana, West Virginia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. It’s about time residents of Buckeye State took advantage of local legal sports betting online and in brick-and-mortar casinos.

The success experienced in other states is perhaps a contributing factor in why the legislation allowing sports betting in Ohio was finally passed. Legal sports betting has been introduced in Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Michigan, all of which have experienced significant success. The bill’s passage was certainly aided by the potential income loss to overseas sports betting sites while Ohio citizens waited for legal options.

The main advantage of legalizing sports betting in Ohio is that citizens will have access to sign-up bonuses, the option to gamble from their smartphones anywhere in the state, and the possibility of placing bets from their home state. Driving across state lines or taking a chance with an unauthorized offshore site is no longer necessary. For the state, this translates into increased tax income and new jobs to support the expanding industry. You can anticipate that when Ohio mobile betting launches on Google Play and App Store, it will offer access to at least a few of the state’s top online bookmakers all at once.

An Ohio Legislative Service Commission analysis, according to WHIO.com, predicted that wagering in the state could generate $24 million in revenue in the initial year, with 98% of the money going to K–12 education and the remaining 2% going toward help for gambling addiction.

If all goes as planned, sports betting will be offered both online and in person. Sportsbook operators seeking to open in Ohio are awaiting approval from the OCCC (Ohio Control Commission) to obtain state licensing now that the bill has been passed. Soon after lawmakers complete finalizing the market regulations, operators ought to be able to apply for a license.